Qatar National Library strives to provide excellent user service at all times. Our educated and knowledgeable staff is ready to assist you in finding the materials and services you want and need. Excellence in user service also means that the staff will try to offer services in a fair manner that treats everyone with courtesy and respect, and asks for courtesy and respect in return. The User Services Policy is the foundation for all staff interactions with the public.
The objective of this policy is to establish a clear overview of how the Library interacts with its users and the rights and responsibilities of users and staff.
This policy applies to all Library users and staff members.
III. Terms & Abbreviations
User service: the act of taking care of the patron's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high-quality service and assistance before, during and after the user's requirements are met
- Library staff should offer the same quality service to all users, regardless of age, race, gender, nationality, educational background, physical limitations or any other criteria which may be the source of discrimination.
- Courtesy and attention to the needs of each Library user is the key to all interactions.
- Library staff will treat every patron with equal respect, and every request with equal importance.
- Staff will be flexible in meeting patrons’ needs. Whenever possible, decisions should be made in the patron’s favor.
- Skilled Library staff will use their knowledge of the Library's resources to fulfill requests in a timely manner, or else present alternatives when requests cannot be met immediately.
- Library policies and procedures exist to make resources available on an equitable basis. Staff members should be familiar with and be able to articulate the Library's policies and explain the rationale behind them. If a user has a question about why the Library has a policy or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation should be provided or the user should be referred to a supervisor.
- The ultimate goal of library service is to meet patrons’ expectations for service while fulfilling the Library’s mission. Any comments are welcome regarding how well those expectations are being met.
The Library staff recognizes patrons' right to confidentiality. As a result, staff will not reveal the identity of people using Library materials to a third party, nor will Library staff reveal the items checked out on another patron’s card.
All interactions and transactions between a patron or group of patrons and the Library will be considered confidential and will be discussed only in a professional context. Such matters include, but are not limited to, registration information, materials selection, loan transaction records and reference questions.
Staff members will not offer personal opinions or advice in answer to queries, but will always follow established library practices.