- Site and Manara refers to the online research repository system available via the web interface at https://manara.qnl.qa/
- Item is the smallest unit of data and metadata that can be deposited to Manara; it can be a digital article, monograph, dataset, thesis, image or other media, software, and any other work protected by copyright and related laws.
- Materials refer to the items deposited and stored in Manara.
- Depositor is a person depositing an item into Manara.
- End user refers to any person accessing the materials or metadata in Manara.
- Metadata refers to information or facts for the purpose of attribution, description, management, verification, and discovery of any item.
- The Library refers to Qatar National Library.
- Manara Team refers to the group of Library staff members administering Manara.
- Figshare refers to the service Figshare.com, which is the technological platform for Manara.
By accessing and using Manara, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms of service, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law. The terms and conditions outlined on this page are to be followed by all end users and depositors of materials to Manara.
- Metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for non-commercial purposes.
- Materials use is governed by the license selected by the depositor and indicated in the metadata. Manara makes its materials publicly available where possible.
- Some of the materials on Manara are only available to selected users by the depositor, the depositor’s affiliated institution, or a grant funding agency of the depositor’s research outcomes.
- Unless otherwise permitted by the particular item license, end users shall not further distribute items or their parts without prior permission from the depositor or item's rights holder provided in the item metadata.
- Manara contains trademarks and copyrighted material owned by the Library, Figshare and/or any provider of materials; you may not copy, reproduce, publish, post, transmit, display, store, sublicense, transfer or distribute such materials without written permission from the applicable owner. For purposes of clarification, this prohibition does not prohibit the use of any publicly available materials under the terms of the specific license under which such materials were deposited.
Depositing Materials to Manara
As a depositor:
- You agree to provide complete and detailed information about your deposited items, as requested by the Manara Team.
- You state that the submission is your original work and that you have the right to grant the rights contained in your selected license in your deposit to Manara. You also state that your submission does not, to the best of your knowledge, infringe upon anyone's copyright, data protection rights, trade secrets, or other non-disclosure and confidentiality clauses.
- You agree not to deposit any sensitive, restricted, or legally protected data unless previously agreed in writing with the Manara Team.
- If the submission contains material for which you do not hold copyright, you state that you have obtained the permission of the copyright owner to deposit the material to Manara and that such third-party-owned material is clearly identified and acknowledged within the text or content of the submission.
- If the submission is based upon work that has been funded, sponsored, or supported by any agency or organization, you state that you have fulfilled any right of review or other obligations required by such contract or agreement.
- You agree that the Library may keep more than one copy of this submission for purposes of security, backup, and preservation.
- The Library will clearly identify your name(s) as the author(s) or owner(s) of the submission, as provided by you in the metadata, and will not make any alteration, other than as allowed by this license, to your submission.
- The Library at any point may refuse to store any deposited item and such a decision cannot be objected. In such a case the Library will provide the depositor with a background of the decision and will provide a copy of the deposited item before it's permanently deleted from Manara.
Termination or Suspension of Depositor's Access to Manara
The Library may, under certain circumstances, terminate or suspend your account and/or access to Manara. Reasons for such termination shall include, but not be limited to:
- requests by the depositor (e.g. self-initiated account deletions);
- discontinuance of and/or material modification to the services, including but not limited to any termination or suspension of services from a third party provider;
- unexpected technical or security issues or problems;
- extended periods of inactivity; and/or
- requests by law enforcement or other government agencies.
You may request termination of your account by providing notice via this contact form.
Manara hosts content from several authors. You acknowledge that the statements and views of these authors are theirs alone and do not reflect the stances or policies of the authors' affiliated institution, the Library, or Qatar Foundation; nor does their depositing of materials on Manara imply the endorsement of the authors' affiliated institution, the Library or Qatar Foundation.
Disclaimer of Warranties
The materials on Manara are provided on an 'as is' basis. The Library makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including, without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
Further, Qatar National Library does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, reliability, or results of the use of the materials on its website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
Limitations of Liability
In no event shall Qatar National Library or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit or due to business interruption) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Manara, even if an authorized representative of the Library has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage.
Qatar National Library may revise these terms of service for Manara at any time without notice. By using Manara, you agree to be bound by the current version of these terms of service.
These terms and conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Qatar, and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in that state or location.
We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
We will collect (e.g., through the website contact form) and use personal information solely for fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other ancillary purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- The cookies on our website are meant to:
- measure how you use our website,
- help with our marketing and communication,
- remember your preferences,
- track your progress in surveys and data gathering tools.
Personal Data Collection, Use, and Privacy Notice
The information that we collect:
We usually collect and use your personal data to provide, understand, and improve our services.
When you register for Manara as a depositor, the Library needs to know your name, affiliation, and email address. We gather this information to allow us to process your registration and provide our service to you. The Library may also use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring website usage in order to help us enhance the website and our services. We may provide such aggregate information to third parties, but these statistics will not include information that can be used to identify any individual.
We will use your first name, last name, and email address within our contact forms. This information is collected in order to further communicate with the website users.
Personal data that we collect should be always relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
Under the data privacy law of the State of Qatar (Law 13 of 2016), you have a number of important rights. In summary, those include the right to:
• Fair processing of information and transparency about how the Library uses your personal information.
• Require us to correct any mistakes in our information about you.
• Require us to erase your personal information in certain situations.
• Receive your personal information that you have provided to us, upon payment of a prescribed service fee.
• Object at any time to the processing of your personal information for direct marketing.
• Object to decisions being taken by automated means that have a legal or similarly significant effect on you .
• Object in certain situations to our continued processing of your personal information.
How We Protect Your Information
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent the loss or unauthorized access and use of your personal information. We limit access to your personal information to authorized users with a demonstrated need. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorized manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality. We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach, as required by law.
Manara is technically based on figshare.com (Figshare LLP/ Digital Science), which may also gather information about you in accordance with their own separate privacy policies. For privacy information relating to Figshare, please consult their individual privacy policies as appropriate on this link.
Last updated on 4 October 2022.