Use the following databases to search for articles, books, ebooks and more about art and art history. For a comprehensive list of QNL databases, please visit QNL Online Resources.
The specialized bibliography is available for the study of modern and contemporary art, with full abstracts and indexing from the late 1960s onwards. It covers painting, sculpture, photography, video and more.
Arts and Humanities Database
The Arts and Humanities Database includes peer-reviewed articles relevant to the fields of applied arts and cultural studies. Subject strengths are art, design, photography, archaeology, architecture, interior design, modern languages and literature, and cultural studies.
Design and Applied Arts Index (DAAI)
A leading source of abstracts and bibliographic records for articles, news and reviews published in periodicals on design and applied arts. It covers disciplines such as ceramics, graphic design, fashion, interior design, architecture, web design, animation and more.
The JSTOR archive includes more than 1,500 leading academic journals in the humanities, social sciences and sciences. The entire archive of journals (from volume 1, issue 1) is provided, with an embargo for the most recent three years.
RBdigital provides access to full versions of several hundred popular magazines and journals, including several on various art topics. You may visit RBdigital via the QNL Online Resources page. After you sign in to your QNL account, you will be redirected to the RBdigital site. The first time you visit the site, you will need to create an account with RBdigital.
Here are a few examples of magazines available through RBdigital:
- ARTnews: The award-winning ARTnews covers all art, from the ancient to the cutting-edge. It provides behind-the-scenes access to galleries, museums, auction houses and artists' studios.
- Dwell: A modern architecture and design magazine aimed at people who believe that good design is an integral part of real life.
- Amateur Photographer: The world's oldest weekly magazine for photography contains news and events, plus features on techniques, equipment tests and darkroom advice.
- Shutterbug: Directed at advanced amateur and professional photographers, the magazine provides lighting pointers, test reports, equipment reviews and more in every issue.
- Artists & Illustrators: Deemed the UK’s best-selling magazine for artists and art lovers, its issues contain a colorful palette of profiles and features, with practical ideas, expert technical advice and useful product tests.