Qatar National Library's resource sharing supports the study and research needs of members age 18 years or older. The Document Delivery Service (DDS) will explore and use alternative sources of access to resources (ie, full-text materials, commercial document delivery sources and current digital services).
Through the DDS, we request materials from institutions and companies worldwide. As part of this resource sharing, the DDS at the Library provides members with articles and materials not available through QNL Online Resources.
The purpose of this document is to highlight the research needs of Library members and to define the approach to offering the Document Delivery Service.
This policy applies to all Library members who are 18 years old and above.
III. Terms & Abbreviations
- Resource sharing: information and materials that are shared by libraries and institutions in order to increase accessibility to their users
- Document Delivery Service (DDS): a service through which a patron of one library can access journal articles and copies of items that are owned by another library. The service is initiated from the requesting patron’s library. The item is sent to the requesting library or electronically to the requestor.
- Requestor: the user who initiates the request for a document
- Turnaround time: the time from the initial request to the delivery of the article
- Copyright: a law that protects original creative works, such as software, video games, books, music, images and videos. Copyright laws vary by country.
The DDS at the Library provides you with study and research materials in electronic or print format that are not found through QNL Online Resources. Items are obtained from various suppliers overseas in Canada, the UK, Europe, the US and elsewhere. If, after searching the QNL Catalog and QNL Online Resources, you cannot find the material you are looking for, you may use the DDS.
Individual Library members age 18 years and older are eligible to request materials through the DDS.
Materials that can be requested
- Articles from journals (no more than two articles from a single issue of a periodical or journal)
- Book chapters or sections (typically, no more than two chapters or 10% from a single book, whichever is less)
- Conference proceedings
- Scanning with black-and-white text is the standard procedure.
- Color scanning may be requested for articles where color is essential to the article, such as medical or fine arts articles, or certain charts and graphs. However, we cannot guarantee high-quality color resolution, based on the limitations of available scanning technology.
Materials not eligible for request
- Books, ebooks or all chapters within one book
- Library use only (reference) materials
The DDS is currently free for all QNL members.
- Processing any DDS material, in general, takes two to three working days from the time of request until delivery.
- Each request is processed case by case, and some might take longer due to a delay at the supplier’s end or because of standard mail delivery delay.
All DDS notices are sent to the requesting member's email address. These include notices of receipt of materials and cancellation notices.
- The DDS follows Qatar copyright law and the IFLA International Resource Sharing and Document Delivery: Principles and Guidelines for Procedure. Requesters to the DDS must obey copyright law in Qatar and any obligations imposed by the supplying library. The supplied documents shall not be used for commercial purposes, only for private study.
- QNL reserves the right not to fulfill certain requests due to copyright restrictions, page or file size limitations, or high fees charged by suppliers.